Saturday 10 May 2008

People Not to Invite to Dinner Parties

Obviously this is a slightly personal and biased view - please, do not totally exclude these people from normal social interactions. Today I speak only of the men - for yea, often they are - who provide the long, ponderous commentaries for the kind of historical re-enactments one sees in castles and other such historical places throughout the summer months. Full of dates and circumstantial detail, bereft of emotion. And the obligatory warning not to try this at home - how often have I felt like letting off a cannon in my back garden - never mind the neighbours, that would be no bad thing, but that's another story..! - or trying a bit of jousting with my beloved - now, there's a thought, if I can get the armour, a sort of armour d'amour...but I digress.
I have every respect for the enthusiasm of these people and all those who do the re-enactments, I am sure it brings history alive. But please, not at my dinner table.

No comments: